photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
William Vogt | profile | all galleries >> Newport, Rhode Island >> Newport Mansions >> Marble House tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

The Breakers | The Elms | Rosecliff | Marble House | Belcourt Castle | Chateau-sur-Mer | Green Animals Topiary Garden | Coach and Carriage Demonstration | Kingscote | Ochre Court and Cliff Walk | Astor's Beechwood

Marble House



Marble House was built between 1888 and 1892 for Mr. and Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt, younger brother of Cornelius who built The Breakers.


Marble House was designed by the architect Richard Morris Hunt, inspired by the Petit Trianon at Versailles.


The cost of the house was $11 million, of which $7 million was spent on 500,000 cubic feet of marble.


Harold Vanderbilt, a son, was one of the finest yachtsmen of his era who successfully defended the America's Cup three times.


The Vanderbilts divorced in 1895 and Alva married Oliver H.P. Belmont, moving down the street to Belcourt Castle.


After his death, she reopened Marble House, and had a Chinese Tea House built on the seaside cliffs, where she hosted rallies for women's right to vote.


The Marble House is owned by the Preservation Society of Newport County and is a National Historic Landmark.
Marble House - Aerial
Marble House - Aerial