|Tom LeRoy | profile | all galleries >> Rhine River >> Upper Middle Rhine Valley >> Schönburg Castle and Oberwesel||tree view | thumbnails | slideshow|
first mentioned in history between the years 911 and 1166.
From the 12th century, the Dukes of Schönburg ruled over the town of Oberwesel and had also the right to levy customs on the Rhine river.
The castle is burned down in 1689 by French soldiers during the Palatinate Heritage war.
Schönburg Castle remained destroyed and in ruins for 2 centuries until an American of German ancestry, Mr. Rhinelander,
bought the castle from the town of Oberwesel in the late 19th century and invested two million Gold Marks into the restoration until 1914.
The town council of Oberwesel acquired the castle back from Mr. Rhinelander’s son in 1950.
Since 1957 the Hüttl family lives at the castle on a long-term lease (emphyteusi) and established a hotel and restaurant, now already in the third generation.