The Historic Port of Echuca precinct is an authentic working steam port, home to Australia’s largest fleet of steam-driven paddlesteamers.
Although its major commodity has changed from wool to people, Port of Echuca still operates much the same as it did in the 1860's, with shipwrights and steam engineers providing a vital role in the Port's operations today, just as they would have in the late 1800's.
Echuca Wharf was erected between 1865-67 by Victorian Railways to accommodate the booming river trade. It was built of river red gum timber, felled and milled locally. 1872 was its busiest year – with 240 paddlesteamers being cleared from the wharf.