Bandinelli Palace (Palazzo Bandinelli) built in 1593 is a late Renaissance townhouse facing Market Square in Lviv.
It was commissioned in the late 16th century by a Florentine merchant, Roberto Bandinelli, known as the founder of the first post office in Galicia. That office was housed in the building from 1629 onward.
At the beginning of the 17th century a merchant from Italy, Roberto Bandinelli, having visited the city, decided to settle in Lviv, received Lviv citizenship, bought this building, and started a business unusual to the city: he established a post office of European standard here.
In 1629 Polish King Sigismund III granted Bandinelli the privilege of maintenance of the regular royal post office and the title of Royal Postmaster.
Lviv inhabitants could send and receive letters from the whole of Europe every Saturday; however, these services were extremely expensive and soon the Lviv Council rejected them.
Bandinelli had invested a great deal of money in this business, so the Council's actions made him virtually bankrupt.
The house was considerably renovated in 1737-1739. Now it's supposed to be the Museum of the History of the Postal Service.