Fort Hawkins was at the head of a chain of forts built by Gen. David Blackshear. There were also forts in Twiggs, Pulaski, and Telfair counties. There were eleven forts. The Telfair forts were Ft. Adams (Temperance), Ft. Clark (Blockhouse Church site), and Ft. McIntosh, Horse Creek between Jacksonville and Lumber City. The forts were built in the early 1800's for protection against the Indians.