Overnight, Bloke's brain and my brain worked overtime trying to figure out the problem with his radio. We have both been over the installation manual dozens of times. Bloke came to the conclusion that his second radio may be causing a problem. I came to the conclusion that the only thing that could cause the problem was if the transmit interlock pin in the installation was pulled down to ground. That was a thing that Bloke has previously said was not the problem. When Bloke arrived I asked him to humor me and just check and see if that pin was pulled to ground. He started fiddling with the airplane and I went upstairs and continued working with the Garmin simulator on my computer. A while later I went out to see what was happening and Bloke was grinning. He handed me the headset and, sure enough, the Garmin was receiving just fine. At last! It turned out that the transmit interlock was pulled to ground and that occured when the other radio was installed. So, SNIP, and the problem was solved.
Although the weather was crappy, Bloke had to test fly his airplane to see if things work properly in the air. As he taxied in he gave the thumbs up - success. So, we put the airplane away and seated ourselves in front of the hangar. This time, however, we had Long Island ice tea, which was new to me. It was very good. I can see how a person could get roaring drunk on that stuff quite easily.
So, now we have solved the radio problem, who knows what we will get into next. Whatever it is, I hope it is a lot simpler!