The Stable Yard (Stallhof) used to border the large complex of the royal palace, which included the Johaneum (now, the Dresden Transport Museum), the "Long gallery" and the palace itself.
Since 1591 the yard was the scene of official spectacles, especially knight tournaments.
Beyond the stable yard, there is a long arcade with paintings, which originate in southern Germany, and a beautiful passage called Georg Gate.
Nowadays, the stable courtyard serves cultural events. December every year Christmas market is open here, in medieval style.