A view over old Van, that is no more.
On the picture: The Hüsrev Paşa Mosque, built in 1567 for Köse (Koca) Hüsrev Paşa, Beylerbeyi (Ottoman governor) at the time. The name of the architect is uncertain, but mostly the great Mimar Sinan is cited.
The mosque is also named ‘Hüsreviye Cami’ or ‘Kurşunlu Cami’ = Mosque with the lead (roof).
In front of the mosque: the remains of the külliye (complex) that included a ‘medrese’ (highschool), a ‘sibyan mektebi’ (primary school), an ‘imaret’ (kitchen for the poor), a ‘hamam’ (bath) and a ‘han’ (kervanserail).
Parts of the complex have been reconstructed since this picture was taken.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler’ - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü III, Ankara 1983
& Website of ‘van kulturturizm.gov.tr’ .