On the picture: The Emir Sultan Hamamı, situated to the south of the Emir Sultan Mosque.
Built in 1426, by Hundi Fatma Hatun, the wife of Emir Sultan, who had been the initiator of the mosque too, some 40 years earlier. She was a daughter of sultan Yıldırım Beyazıt and therefore had the means to finance large building projects.
It is a ‘single’ bathhouse (unlike a double bathhouse, with distinct sections for men and women). This means that there were separate openings days (or hours) for men and women. The building is 12,35 x 34,75 m large, and much higher on the front side, where the domed ‘soğukluk’ is (the cold room, for changing and resting).
The hamam was restored in 1622, 1670 and 1712. Its present state is the result of a recent restoration, completed in 2012; it is now in use as a cultural center.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Source: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler’ - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü III, Ankara 1983 .