From the state archives description: "In 1930, PAA placed the first full-fledged seaplanes in operation with the introduction of the Consolidated Commodores. These were twin-engined seaplanes and helped to pioneer many of the company's new routes. Flights were made from the Dinner Key seaplane base in Miami."
The Consolidated Commodore designed as a Naval patrol flying boat originally. It was the first passenger aircraft to have upholstered seats. Pan American used these aircraft in the Caribben area during the 20s and 30s. The aircraft had 22 seats, flew at 108 mph, had a 17,600 pound max gross takeoff weight, 1000 mile range, was powered by 2 Pratt & Whitney Hornet engines (575 hp), was 68 feet long, 16 feet in height, and a 100-foot wingspan. Pan American had 14 Commodores. The last one left service after 16 years of flying for Pan Am on September 19, 1946.
In addition to passenger service, Pan American trained hundred of Royal Air Force navigators in Commodores modified for navigational training in 1944.