A contrast of old Melbourne architecture, and new. The granite column in the foreground is part of a collection of remains of the former seven-storey Colonial Mutual Life building, which stood on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets from 1896 until its demolition in 1960. It was built in the "Americanised Renaissance" style by David Mitchell, who was also responsible for the Royal Exhibition Building seen elsewhere in this gallery. (Which would account for the remains being located near that building.)
The building's shell was made up of grey granite quarried at Harcourt near Castlemaine. Pink granite from Phillip Island was also used.
Modern Melbourne office towers, including the head office of Telstra (the leading and much-loathed communications company) can be seen in the background. While far more modern and practical, they lack the older building's sense of style.