Espada Aqueduct: 8 images
Probably constructed between 1731 and 1745, this sturdy masonry aqueduct was once part of an irrigation system serving five area missions. It is the only remaining Spanish structure of its type in the United States. It is included in San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. For more information on the Espada Aqueduct please visit this National Park Site.
Founded in 1690 as San Francisco de los Tejas near present-day Weches, Texas, this was the first mission in Texas. In 1731, the mission transferred to the San Antonio River area and renamed Mission San Francisco de la Espada. A friary was built in 1745, and the church was completed in 1756. For more information on the history of The Espada Mission click here.
Mission San Juan:
Originally founded in 1716 in eastern Texas, Mission San Juan was transferred in 1731 to its present location. In 1756, the stone church, a friary, and a granary were completed. A larger church was begun, but was abandoned when half complete, the result of population decline. For more information on the history of The San Juan Mission click here.
Mission San José:
Founded in 1720, the mission was named for Saint Joseph and the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo, the governor of the Province of Coahuila and Texas at the time. It was built on the banks of the San Antonio river several miles to the south of the earlier mission, San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo). Viewed as the model among the Texas missions, San José gained a reputation as a major social and cultural center. It became known as the "Queen of the Missions." Its imposing complex of stone walls, bastions, granary, and magnificent church was completed by 1782. Its founder was the famed Father Antonio Margil de Jesús, a very prominent Franciscan missionary in early Texas. For more information on the history of The San Jose Mission click here.
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña (also Mission Concepcion) was established in 1716 as Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Hainais in East Texas. The mission was moved in 1731 to San Antonio. Founded by Franciscan friars, this is the best preserved of the Texas missions. Restoration of the mission's interior was completed in March 2010 after six months of work. For more information on the history of Mission Concepcion click here.