Illinois Central Railroad Depot
Galena, Illinois, Built 1857
On October 18, 1854, The Apple River to Galena Branch of the Illinois Central Railroad was opened, the “Iron Horse had arrived in Galena.” The Illinois Central Depot at Galena, IL. was built in 1857 and upon it’s opening it was proclaimed to be the best Passenger Depot in the state, with the exception, perhaps, of some in Chicago.
The Depot fronts on the railroad track 48 feet and on Bouthillier Street 36 Feet. It is a two story brick building, and was erected at a cost of $8,000. The lower story contains all the apartments necessary for a complete Depot among which we mention a Gentlemen’s Reception Room, 20 by 22 Feet, A Ladies’ Reception Room, 18 by 22 feet, Ladies’ Dressing Room, 8 by 15 feet, Ticket Office, 12 by 15 feet, and a Baggage Room 12 by 15 feet. The upper story contains six rooms and was occupied by Mr. Spaulding (Freight Agent) and Family as a Dwelling. A platform extends around three sides of the Depot and will be extended to Second Street. Two small cupolas surmount the roof, and skylights are also inserted, and the building, as a whole, presents a handsome appearance.
History continued with next photo...