Shot showing the mods done so far to the front pilot. The original buffer detail was cut/filed/sanded away, along with the stock walkway/drop step mount (it's not really an anticlimber, but I'm not sure what else to call it). A Cannon #2101 "small" anticlimber will replace the one I cut off, which gives the advantage of having treadplate on it (to complement the treadplate set I have set aside), as well as the raised "kickplate" it has on one end.
For the buffer, I decided to use Details West's new #363 Scale Coupler Buffer Plate. You'll have to add some styrene strips in the coupler pocket opening (IIRC, I used Evergreen .040" x .80" to do this, gluing a small vertical strip on each side of the opening) to fill the excess space once the new buffer is installed. I need to put up a picture showing a stock buffer compared to the new one; the difference in appearance is very dramatic. While I was at it, I decided to drill the holes for the snowplow, and test-install it.