photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Petros Labrakos | profile | all galleries >> Galleries >> charred_souls tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

SANATORIUM - mount PARNITHA (Attica) and the PARK of SOULS:

The Sanatorium was built in 1914 for tuberculosis patients and shutted down in 1960.

Then for a few years it operated as Xenia Hotel and now is totally abandoned.

The remarkable poet Yiannis Ritsos was a patient there

and during his hospitalization wrote the famous poem “Spring Symphony”.

Just across the road lies the Park of Souls,

an outdoor exhibition in memory of those who suffered in the Sanatorium.

The exhibition consists of twenty amazing sculptures,

carved from burnt logs from the Parnitha fire in 2007,

with a height of not more than 4.5 meters.

In 1961 the entire mountain (250 km˛) was declared a National Park