Studebaker introduced its first OHV V8 in 1951, which was the 232 CI 120HP with a 2 barrel carb. It was in production through 1954. In 1955, that first engine was supplanted by the 259, which offered a 2 barrel version rated at 162 HP, and two 4 barrel engines of 175 and 185 HP. The 259 continued through the 1964 demise of Studebaker in the USA.
In 1956, the 259 was stroked to give 289 CI, and it became the workhorse of the Studebaker lineup with 2 barrel, 4 barrel, and supercharged versions.
Studebaker also produced a small 224 V8 for truck use, which was also used in the 1955 Commander line. It was available only for the 1955 model year.
At one point, in 1956, the Golden Hawk received a 352 V8 from Packard, and it too was a one year offering.
Towards the end of itís corporate life, Studebaker enlarged the 289 the to 304 CI, supercharged it, and made it available only in the 1963-1964 Avanti.
The 1964 model year was the last year for the American made Studebaker. For the 1965 and 1966 model years, Studebakers were assembled in Hamilton, Ontario, and were fitted with Chevroletís 283.