A splendid example of Sienese Gothic architecture, Palazzo Pubblico (Town Hall) is the architectural centre-piece of Piazza del Campo and one of the symbols of Siena. Slightly concave, it merges perfectly with other buildings that surround the square, and focuses all attention on itself. The ground floor is built on pale travertine and opens up through a series of arcades and pointed arches, while in the upper storeys, mullioned windows add a touch of elegance to the red brickwork.The city’s black and white coat of arms or “balzana” can be found underneath every arch and enriches the contrast between light and dark.When the Palazzo Pubblico was built at the end of the 13th century to give the government a stable seat, Siena was at the height of his splendour and wanted to show it off through its architecture. The stone coat of arms with the six balls sitting in the centre of the facade is instead a reminder of the Medici rule from 1555 onwards. By this time, Siena was in a state of decline.