Located in Paris' 1st arrondissement, it took 105 years to build the grand St. Eustache church. Designed by architect Domenico da Cortona of Italy, it was constructed between 1532 and 1637.
The church, in the Les Halles (market) area of Paris, actually had its start in 1223, when in exchange for lending king Philippe Auguste a large amount of money, local merchant Jean Alais was allowed to charge tax on baskets of fish. Amassing a good fortune, he used part of the money to build a chapel. The chapel - named for St. Agnes - received the status of a church and in 1303 it was named in memory of St. Eustace, a Roman general who was burned at the stake for his conversion to Christianity.