Famed aviator and aircraft manufacturer Glenn H. Curtiss built these AEROCARS at his factory in Opa-locka from the late 1920's through the 1930's. They were built using an established aircraft construction technique, fabric sewn over a wooden frame and doped to give it strength and waterproofing capabilities. Each car was built to order depending on whether the customer wanted either a living compartment house trailer or as transportation for passengers, freight or animals.
The first AEROCAR was used by Pan American World Airways to transport passengers to and from Pan Am's Marine Terminal at Dinner Key, Pan American Field, the railway station and hotels. Passengers were welcomed by a Pan Am traffic agent or flight steward who accompanied the passengers to assist them.
The photos at the Miami Springs Historical Museum depict probably the last remaining AEROCAR. It was originally ordered by W. L. Philbrick who wanted a vehicle to transport people confined to a bed or stretcher. He donated his AEROCAR to the proposed aviation museum that was to be built at Dinner Key that never got off the ground.