The Sisters of Charity Hospital was Buffalo's first hospital, founded in 1848. The original hospital was located in an old schoolhouse on Pearl. The Sisters went on to found the St. Mary's Infant Asylum and Maternity Hospital in 1854 at Edward and Elmwood. They also founded Emergency Hospital, which evolved into Sheehan Memorial Hospital and the Providence Retreat for the mentally ill at Main and Humboldt. Outgrowing the original hospital, the Sisters built the pictured building at Main and Delevan, opening in 1876. This building remained in use until 1948, when it moved to the closed Providence Retreat, and built additional facilities, evolving into today's Sisters Hospital.