photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Julian Williams | all galleries >> Julian Williams's Galleries >> Old Jacksonville, Ga.- Where History Lives > Jacksonville State History Marker
previous | next

Jacksonville State History Marker

Jacksonville State Historical Marker
Located at the intersection of U.S. 319/U.S. 441 and Ga. 117 in Jacksonville, Ga.

(Text)

JACKSONVILLE

The first County Seat of Telfair County, Jacksonville, was named for General Andrew Jackson. From 1807 to 1812 court met in various homes. In 1812 a courthouse was erected on the site of the present Methodist Church.


Jacksonville was an important point on the Blackshear Trail which followed the Altamaha and Ocmulgee rivers from Darien to fort Hawkins. two miles away a blockhouse, one of three in the county, was built by General David Blackshear as a refuge and a house of thanksgiving.


The center of a large and wealthy plantation economy, Jacksonville was a landing for freight and passenger traffic on the river before and for some years after the War Between the States. In 1870, McRae became the County Seat.


Among the distinguished early settlers of Jacksonville were General John Coffee, soldier, pioneer surveyor, member of Congress, and General Mark Willcox, Indian fighter. Each of these men has a county in Georgia named for him. Other pioneer residents included the McRae, Clements, Hatton and Pridgen families

134-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959

Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


other sizes: small medium original auto
comment | share