Hillersdon House, Cullompton (Photo Credit: Alison Day)
Georgian Manor House built in red brick and Portland stone in Cullompton, Devon. It was built in 1848 and is Grade II Listed.
In the 1890s it was noted for its wild parties apparently. Now owned by Michael Lloyd who has completed a full refurbishment. It was open today for the Garden scheme and was a joy to behold.
Arms of Cockeram: Argent, on a bend sable three leopard's faces of the field
In the early seventeenth century, Risdon states that Hillersdon was the seat of "Mr Cockrane", whose father and grandfather had also held it.
The Cockeram family descended from George Cockeram (d.1577) of "Hunington" in Devon, one of the overseers of John Lane’s will. In 1573 he was identified as a merchant. The son of George Cockeram (d.1577) was also called George and was the first to be styled "George Cockeram of Cullompton". He died in 1586. Therefore the Cockerams might have purchased the estate directly from the Hillersdons in the early sixteenth century.
In Queen Elizabeth's reign George and John Cockram, merchant, (probably a brother or cousin of George) supplied arms and armour for the defence of the realm. As well as being patrons of the church, the family were great benefactors of the church and George and Bathsheba, the children of David Cockeram each gave the church a communion cup. They also gave a market cross to the town and lands for its upkeep. In 1620 the head of the family was Humprey Cockeram.
Robert Cockeram (1554-1632) was the third son of George Cockeram (d.1586) and was a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. His monument survives in Cullompton Church. After being released from his duties at Oxford he spent much of his time at his house in 10 acres or at Growen (a farm immediately to the east of Hillersdon). In his will he bequeathed to the young scholars of Cullompton Grammar School, his "Cooper's Dictionary", to be kept chained to a desk. He also left money for repairs to the church and almshouses.