Where the cathedral now stands, there was a small chapel of Our Lady from the 9th to the 12th century. In the twelfth century, it was replaced by a large Romanesque church.
In 1352, construction was begun on a new Our Lady’s church, which became a cathedral in 1559. The last part, the tower, was finished in 1518. A second tower was planned but damage from a large fire in 1533 prevented further construction and it was never finished. The existing tower is 405 feet tall and houses 47 bells.