A constitution in 1396 tilted the balance of power in Cologne from the patricians to the Gaffeln, a local variant of the guilds. The 61 meter (200 ft) high Ratsturm (city hall tower) symbolized the increased importance of the 22 guilds of Cologne, who now selected the majority of the councilmen. Construction of the tower started in 1407 and when it was completed, it was the tallest building in the city, even eclipsing the Gross St. Martin. The late Gothic tower was decorated with sculptures depicting important figures in the history of the city.After the tower was completely destroyed in the Second World War, it was rebuilt between 1970 and 1975. Twenty years later the tower was embellished once again with statues, only to have them removed in 2006 due to severe deterioration. The current statues, 124 in total, were installed in 2008 and depict Christ, his apostles, saints and a host of figures that made an impact on the history of Cologne over a span of 2000 years, from historic figures such as the Roman general Agrippa, emperor Augustus and Charlemange to recent personalities including politician Konrad Adenauer and musician Jacques Offenbach.