Revan Köşkü (Yerevan Kiosk), in the north corner of the palace.
Built in 1635. It was ordered by Murat IV to celebrate the conquest of Yerevan (Armenia).
Architect: Koca Kasim Ağa, who was royal architect at the time.
It is also called the ‘Sarık Odası’ (Chamber of Turbans) as the turbans worn by the sultans were kept here at some time.
On the picture: A detail of the interior, with 17th century Iznik tiles and a small rectangular wooden ceiling, painted in 17th century style. The upper part of the picture shows the dome interior, painted in a later 18th century ‘baroque-ish’ manner, influenced by French rococo.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Istanbul, Topkapı paleis’ (Atrium cultuurgidsen) & Personal visits (1978-1986-1993-1996).