Cadaqués was first documented before 814. The document recounts the shipwreck of a vessel that carried the relics of both Sant Abdó and Sant Senén, near Cadaqués; the shipwrecked people and the relics were saved thanks to the villagers’ help. Cadaqués also appears documented in a donation in 974 and later in 1030, when the monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes bought a freehold of fishery and ports to the count of Empúries. The latter document highlights the existence of fisheries, vineyards, ports, coves and beaches in this peninsula. At that time, villagers combined fishing with farming as a means to survive in this apparent hostile and difficult place. But there were more problems that worried locals, such as the pirates and corsairs’ attacks which constantly stormed Cadaqués.
Please login or register.