The first structure built on the top of the hill known as Chaillot was erected for the 1878 World's Fair. Known as the Palais du Trocadero, it was a large concert hall with two wings and two towers. An architecturally-unusual building, it contained elements of both Moorish and Byzantine architecture. An aquarium was situated below the building.
When it was announced that Paris would once again host the World's Fair in 1937, plans for a new Palais de Chaillot were proposed. It was to be designed in "moderne" style by three architects: Louis-Hippolyte Boileau, Jacques Carlu and Léon Azéma.
At the foot of the terrace of the Palais de Chaillot lie the Trocadero gardens. The 10 hectare large gardens are laid out around a large rectangular pond. The fountain in the pond - the city's largest - is especially spectacular at night, when it is lit.
People waiting on the Pont d´Iena were participants of The 14th edition of the "La Parisienne" womens' fun run (route: Pont d'Iena- Quay Branly- Pont Bir Hakeim-Tour Eiffel-Champ de Mars-Ecole Militaire)