Fujifilm launches “FUJIFILM X100V”
- New evolution of the X100 Series, the origin of premium compact digital cameras
- Sophisticated design that exudes functional beauty
- The newly-developed high-performance lens for premium image quality
- The world's only viewfinder that switches between optical and electronic options in pursuit of the photography style of “shooting through the viewfinder”
Tokyo, February 5, 2020 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the launch of the premium compact digital camera “FUJIFILM X100V” (hereinafter “X100V”) in late February 2020. The X100V features a newly-developed high-performance lens on its camera body, designed with functional beauty and sophistication. It is equipped with the latest image sensor and image processing engine to deliver premium-quality images with the company's signature color-reproduction technology. In addition the evolved version of the Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder offers inter-switchable optical and electronic options, in pursuit of the photography style of “shooting through the viewfinder.”
Fujifilm pioneered a new market segment of premium compact digital cameras in 2011 with the launch of the FUJIFILM X100, the inaugural model of the X100 Series. The X100 Series has established a distinctive market position as premium compact digital cameras. It has won great acclaim from users around the world for its sophisticated exterior design, facilitating intuitive operability, and advanced image quality based on Fujifilm's signature color reproduction technology that has been refined over 80 years.
The X100V is the fifth-generation model of the X100 Series. While maintaining the Series' popular design in principle, the new model uses aluminum for the top and bottom plates of the camera body, applying advanced metal processing technology. It has achieved sharp looks to the edges while keeping the surfaces smooth. The use of a tilting rear LCD monitor and dials on the top plate enables intuitive operations and gives the camera body design sophistication exuding functional beauty. A high-performance lens with ultra resolution has been newly developed for this model. The back-illuminated 26.1MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 4”* sensor and the “X-Processor 4” high-speed image processing engine are combined with Fujifilm's unique color reproduction technology to produce premium-quality stills and videos in “memory colors,” i.e. vivid colors exactly as you remember. The X100V equips the Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder, the world's only** viewfinder that can be switched between optical viewfinder (OVF) and electronic viewfinder (EVF). The EVF uses a newly developed organic electroluminescent (EL) panel with capability of high-resolution, high luminance, high contrast to provide enhanced immersiveness in photography shooting experience.
The X100V is a digital camera that integrates excellent design and operability, perfected with attention to detail, with functions that achieve outstanding image quality. It will give photographic pleasure and a sense of joy to own such excellent camera to a wide range of users including professional photographers and photography enthusiasts.
- * X-Trans™ is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
- ** As of February 5, 2020. According to Fujifilm.
1. Main product features
(1) Sophisticated design exuding functional beauty
- This is the first X100 Series camera that uses aluminum for its top and bottom plates. Aluminum, highly shapeable metal, has been milled into shape to achieve sharp looks to the edges and fine blasting treatment produces smooth texture on the surface. The body has been further colored with alumite treatment to achieve a premium appearance.
- For the first time in the X100 Series, this model features a two-way tilting rear LCD monitor that enables various shooting styles from high and low angles. The monitor's excellent touch-response performance guarantees intuitive operability. The ultra-thin LCD monitor can be stored flush in the back panel to achieve an integral body design with a sense of style.
- The X100V offers an ISO dial, built into the shutter speed dial, allowing users to check and adjust various settings without having to turn the camera on. When adjusting ISO sensitivity, users can pull the outer rim of the Built-In ISO Dial up to lock for added convenience.
- The camera features a grip shaped for a comfortable hold and various buttons optimally positioned for easy operation, promising a great shooting experience.
(2) Premium image quality achieved with the newly-developed high-performance lens combined with the latest image sensor and image processing engine
- Using optical technologies developed through the industry-leading “FUJINON lenses,” including lenses for cinema cameras, Fujifilm has newly developed a bright prime lens with the focal length of 23mm (equivalent to 35mm in the 35mm film format) and the maximum aperture of F2. The lens, specifically designed for the X100V using two aspherical lens elements, delivers edge-to-edge sharpness in high resolution and high contrast.
- The X100V uses the back-illuminated 26.1MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 4” sensor and the “X-Processor 4” high-speed image processing engine. They are combined with Fujifilm's unique color reproduction technology, refined for over 80 years, to produce “memory colors,” i.e. vivid colors exactly as you remember.
(3) Evolved “Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder” in pursuit of the photography style of “shooting through the viewfinder”
- The X100V features the world's only “Advanced Hybrid Viewfinder,” allowing users to instantaneously switch between the optical viewfinder (OVF), which captures the photo subject exactly as it is, and the electronic viewfinder (EVF), which reflects exposure and other shooting conditions adjustments.
- The EVF uses a high-resolution 3.69-million-dot organic EL panel for the first time in the X100 Series. It boasts the maximum luminous intensity of 1500 candelas and high contrast to display even intricate details in highlights and shadows, providing enhanced immersiveness in photography.
- In the OVF mode, the viewfinder offers the Electronic Rangefinder function to display a small EVF window at the same time. The feature has been developed to bring out the maximum viewfinder potential, allowing users to capture the subject as it is while enlarging the focusing area in the small EVF. This function provides added convenience when taking snapshots.
(4) Expanded array of shooting functions
- The use of the latest algorithm enables the camera to realize fast and accurate phase-detection AF at the minimum luminance of -5EV, which is close to pitch darkness. The performance of Face and Eye AF has also been improved. The Focus Limiter function, which limits the range of focal lengths for using AF, assists a smooth shooting experience with AF.
- The X100V offers a total of 17 Film Simulation modes to provide versatile tonal variations. It enables a high contrast finish with three-dimensional definitions with the “CLASSIC Neg” mode, which simulates color negative film traditionally chosen for snapshots of day-to-day scenes. The “ETERNA” mode, which simulates the colors and tonality of Fujifilm's motion picture film, allows users to record video in subdued colors and rich shadow tones.
- The X100V also has the “Grain Effect” function for reproducing distinctive graininess seen in photographs taken with film cameras. Users can adjust size and strength settings to control the degree of grain.
- The camera is capable of recording smooth 4K video at 30fps. In the Full-HD modes, video can be recorded at even smoother 60fps for premium video quality.
(5) Various optional accessories for expanding photographic enjoyment
- The use of the adapter ring “AR-X100” and the protection filter “PRF-49” makes this camera dust and moisture resistant for users to enjoy shooting in light rain or dusty outdoor conditions.
- Two conversion lenses are available to alter the camera's focal length without compromising its optical performance or f-stop value, further broadening photographic pleasure.
① Wide conversion lens “WCL-X100 II”
Mounting this conversion lens widens the focal length by 0.8x to 19mm (equivalent to 28mm in the 35mm film format), perfect for landscape photography.
② Tele-conversion lens “TCL-X100 II”
Mounting this conversion lens extends the focal length by 1.4x to 33mm (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm film format), ideal for portraiture taking advantage of a natural perspective.
- The genuine leather case “LC-X100V” gives a premium appearance. A memory card or a battery can be replaced while the case is attached to the camera.
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Media Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
- Customer Contact:
- Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.