During blooming season in 2002, we found that we had four varieties. The first to bloom in late March/early April were The first to bloom: 1 Y-Y and Telamonius Plenus "Van Sion" 4 Y-Y, approximately two weeks later the 2 or 3 W-Y (it's hard for me to tell if the corona is more or less than 1/3 of the petals in length). Then late bloomers surprised us in late April/early May.
I believe the late bloomer should be classified as a 3 W-YWR. However, it does appear that most are deformed (or something) since the petals and corona grow in a very strange and convoluted manner. Most of them are all in one small crowded area where it appears they were originally planted. We never dug them up but somehow they survived the excavation. This year clumps appeared in a new area...they may have been moved around and buried by the excavator and dozer.
Every year since 2001 we have had 'throwaways' surviving and blooming in the most unexpected places. These are primarily the chopped up/damaged bulbs from the 2001 digging that were thrown away...not to mention the ones blooming now that were buried by our excavating project.
This summer we plan to dig a section of the initial planting and 'naturalize' them in drifts of mixed colors. Since they are already mixed as planted, and already getting crowded, we had no way of marking them to identify varieties at digging time.
These daffodils are truly survivors, we have done nothing special to them since they were dug and replanted in 2001. They are all thriving, even the ones planted in my experimental sections; the babies in the 'Nursery' and the iffy neglected sick looking ones in the 'Infirmary'. We started with approx 9000 bulbs planted five years ago...who knows how many we have now!
Please click on a thumbnail for a description and a larger view