The state archives description: "With this Commodore-type Clipper (first of the Full fledged seaplanes) PAA opened service to Kingston, Jamaica in December 1930. The Commodore (a twin-engined aircraft) played an important role in the development of many of the pioneer, international airline's routes)."
The Consolidated Commodore designed as a Naval patrol flying boat originally. It was the first passenger aircraft to have upholstered seats. Pan American used these aircraft in the Caribbean area during the 20s and 30s. The aircraft had 22 seats, flew at 108 mph, had a 17,600 pound max gross takeoff weight, 1000 mile range, was powered by 2 Pratt & Whitney Hornet engines (575 hp), was 68 feet long, 16 feet in height, and a 100-foot wingspan. Pan American had 14 Commodores. The last one left service after 16 years of flying for Pan Am on September 19, 1946.
In addition to passenger service, Pan American trained hundred of Royal Air Force navigators in Commodores modified for navigational training in 1944.