![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
St Nicolas' Church was built around 1170-1180, being added to the gateway leading to Abingdon Abbey.
The monks used the Abbey itself for their worship, while the small Church of St Nicolas was for their
lay servants and tenants. The tower was added and the chancel rebuilt in the 15th century. The original
stained glass was destroyed by parliamentary forces in 1644 during the civil War.
On the left of the image is one of the walls of County Hall, built by a student of Christopher Wren in
the 17th century.
All images are © Chris Gibbins