photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Alan Santillo | all galleries >> Visions of Yorkshire 2008, 2011 and 2012 >> 2012 - Visions of Yorkshire > IMG_3767-Pano-Edit.jpg Bolton Abbey - Wharfedale, North Yorkshire - A Santillo 2012
previous | next

IMG_3767-Pano-Edit.jpg Bolton Abbey - Wharfedale, North Yorkshire - A Santillo 2012

Bolton Abbey is an estate which takes its name from the ruins of the 12th-century Augustinian monastery now generally known as Bolton Priory. It sits within the landscape of the Yorkshire Dales, adjacent to the village of Bolton Abbey.

The monastery was founded at Embsay in 1120. Led by a prior, Bolton Abbey was technically a priory, despite its name. It was founded in 1154 by the Augustinian order, on the banks of the River Wharfe. The land at Bolton, as well as other resources, were given to the order by Lady Alice de Romille of Skipton Castle in 1154. In the early 14th century Scottish raiders caused the temporary abandonment of the site and serious structural damage to the priory. The seal of the priory featured the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Child and the phrase sigillum sancte Marie de Bolton. The nave of the abbey church was in use as a parish church from about 1170 onwards, and survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries.


other sizes: small medium large original auto
previous | next
comment | share