photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Alan Santillo | all galleries >> Galleries >> Visions of Gibraltar 1979 > Gibraltar_026.jpg Alameda Gardens - Gibraltar - © A Santillo 1979
previous | next

Gibraltar_026.jpg Alameda Gardens - Gibraltar - © A Santillo 1979

In 1815 the then governor of Gibraltar established a walk around the Grand Parade as a place of public recreation to form what is called an Alameda, where the inhabitants might enjoy the air protected from the extreme heat of the sun. The promenade around the Parade was gradually expanded to include about 8 hectares of land in what became known as the Alameda Gardens. Alameda is derived from the Spanish word “Alamo”, or White Poplar Populus alba, and old writings mention these trees growing along the Grand Parade. The walks opened to the public on 14th April 1816.


other sizes: small medium large original auto
comment | share