This is one of just a few structures left from the 1901 Pan-American Exposition. Designed by Buffalo architect George Cary (1859–1945), its south portico is meant to evoke the Parthenon, in Athens. In 1987, it was designated a National Historic Landmark. Founded in 1862, the Buffalo Historical Society's first president was Millard Fillmore. Its exhibits, programs, and events are a magnet for schoolchildren, families, and students. It has hosted observances of Lincoln's Birthday for over a century. In 1960, the Society changed its name to the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, and in October 2012 it became the Buffalo History Museum. The Buffalo Japanese Peace Garden is in front of the museum.