WINNER : TRAVEL/YPRES/IEPER JUN 09/AROUND YPRES TOWN CENTRE GALLERY
The imposing Cloth Hall was built in the 13th century and was one of the largest commercial buildings of the Middle Ages. During the First World War it was completely destroyed, except for the lower portion of the belfry and a few pieces of wall of the west wing. The structure which stands today is the exact copy of the original medieval building, rebuilt after the war. The belfry houses a 49-bell carillon, and the In Flanders Fields Museum is housed on the first floor.
The town hall, facing the front in this picture, was also rebuilt. It was originally constructed in 1619 against the east wall of the cloth hall, and has a gothic arcade.
The whole complex, in the market square, was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1999.
Rising behind these buildings is St Martins Cathedral which was originally built in 1221, and also completely reconstructed after WWI