Seen on a side door of Egglesburn Chapel 1872. A spirit of an earlier time, the inscription goes back to a nineteenth century society created for the purpose of helping working men. The society produced a newspaper and encouraged workers to be conscientious, hardworking and to seek opportunities to improve themselves educationally. However, the society did not merely hector the great British workman but provided practical support in the way of facilities and resources such as books and reading rooms to accomplish this objective.
For more info see http://www.egglesburn.org.uk/