Perhaps the most famous building in Bern, the Berner Münster is also known as the Bern Cathedral and the Cathedral of St. Vincent. The cathedral is Switzerland's largest church from the late Middle Ages, and played a vital role in the overall development of the city's architecture. The late Gothic creation is a three-aisled, pillared basilica without transept, begun in 1421 to the design of Matthäus Ensinger of Ulm, but the tower was not completed until 1893, with the addition of the octagonal upper section and the openwork spire. The west doorway of Bern Minster is richly decorated with sculpture (now copies); in the tympanum is a Last Judgment (completed in 1495) containing a number of figures, and on the side walls are paintings of the Fall and the Annunciation. The nave and the choir of Bern's St. Vincent Minster have reticulated vaulting with fine 16th-century coats-of-arms. The finely carved choir stalls (1523) were the first Renaissance work of art in Bern. In the apse are a Gothic font (1524) and beautiful stained glass (1441-50). At the end of the south aisle is a monument to Berchtold von Zähringen (1601), incorporating a coat-of-arms. In the Matter chapel (seventh bay in the south aisle) is the Dance of Death window (1917), with 20 scenes from the Dance of Death (1516-19) by Niklaus Manuel-Deutsch.