The Electoral Palace in Trier, constructed between 1615 and 1676 and located right next to the Constantine Basilica, is among the finest Rococo palaces in the world. The Electoral Prince Lothar von Metternich had the palace built in late Renaissance style. The plans were for a High Castle and a Lower castle. By the time of his death the north wing had been finished and the east wing begun. The High Castle was completed under his successor Electoral Prince Philipp Christoph von Sötern. The construction of the Lower Castle was continued under Caspar von der Leyen. From the 17th century up until 1794 the Palace was the residence of the Trier Electoral Princes. After dispossession by Napoleon it was used as a barracks and later, in World War Two, was badly damaged. Both wings of the Lower Castle were almost completely demolished. In 1955 the district government of Trier moved into the High Castle building. Since 2000 it has been the seat of the Supervisory and Service Directorate (ADD). The south wing, constructed by Johannes Seiz, is particularly magnificent.
Please login or register.