Auberge de Castille
When the Knights of St John built Valletta, they constructed an auberge (or inn) for each of their eight langues (languages or nationalities),
as residences for those knights that didn’t have their own homes in Malta. The Auberge de Castille was the official seat of the Knights of the
Langue of Castille, León and Portugal – one of the most powerful of the Order, headed by the Grand Chancellor. The Knights of this Langue were
responsible for the defence of the Valletta fortifications. The Auberge was built in 1574, remodelled and rebuilt in 1741. The building was
damaged during the French siege in 1799-1800 and again during WW II. It now houses the office of the Prime Minister of Malta.