In 1924, King George VI recommended that the old custom of identifying villages with carved or painted name signs could be revived. In 1920, Biddenden had won a Daily Mail competition for a sign featuring the two Biddenden Maids.
More villages followed, especially in 1953, the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
More signs have been put up due to the Millennium. Also more signs were put up to commemorate the cen
tenary of the formation of many councils.
Bo-Peep Corner, Pembury
This unusual village sign is on a small green at the junction of Henwood Green Road and Hastings Road (on left). It is of a shepherdess, and recalls the old name from which Pembury may have been derived. It marks the site of another small community once known as 'Pastep Green'.