Former estate of Carter Braxton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The original house was destroyed by fire while Braxton was in Philadelphia attending the Continental Congress which drafted the Declaration of Independence. He did not rebuild the house, nor did he return to take up residence on this Pamunkey River estate. The present house was built at the site of the orignal structure in 1835 by Corbin Braxton and it was here that Mrs. Braxton entertained General Robert E. Lee, his two sons, and Col. Thomas Carter during the Spring of 1865.
(Source: "Some Accounts of the Planters, Plantations, and Places In New Kent County" by Malcolm H. Harris)