The round, coliseum-like structure on the hill is McCaig’s Tower,
which was built by a local banker in 1897 to provide (a) work for local stonemasons
during their off-season, and (b) a monument to his family. Originally he intended
the tower to include statues of family members, but those were never completed.
(We went up to the tower a couple days later.)